Friday, October 28, 2011

Second Life

I listened to the theory on Second Life and I realized that I don’t really think it is a disruptive technology.  I feel that it is another way for people to express themselves and gives a sense of security to those who may not be socially able to meet people otherwise. When I first heard the term second life I thought in terms of second term battery lives and second lives of items.  The video by Philip Rosedale really opened up my thinking of Second Life.
Second Life replaced the way people socially interact and the use of online games. (Rosedale, 2008) It is a way of being around people without being around people.  As far as it being in its final stage I do not believe that to be true. To me it is still an emerging technology that has a long way to go before it is fully integrated into society. Movies like the Avatar have me realizing that second life is in its beginning stages rather than the end. 
The social benefits are that people that usually are introverts will become more involved in a virtual world.  There are people that are considered recluse and this is a way for them to come out of their shells.  The Sims started this trend to me and has taken on a life of its own. 
References:
Rosedale, P.(2008)Philip Rosedale on Second Life[video].Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/the_inspiration_of_second_life.html
Scoble.R.(2010)Is Second Life about to enter its second life?Retrieved from http://scobleizin.com/2010/02/22/is-second-life-about-to-enter-its-second-life/


Second life references

No comments:

Post a Comment