Friday, October 14, 2011

Rhymes of History

An example of technology that represents a rhyme of history to me is the video game system. I can remember back in the early 1980’s my brother had an Atari game system. Our favorite was the tennis games that had a black screen and a green ball that made a beep when it was hit by a blinking insertion bar. (That’s what it looks like to me now.) The system was brown large, heavy but loads of fun to us.  The graphics were horrible and the colors probably contributed to some of us wearing glasses at a young age. (Not a proven fact.) The joystick was huge and you used your whole hand to control it and not two fingers like they do now.
The video game market has increased its value a thousand times over with 3D graphics, virtual systems and interactive games that have taken video games to a whole new level.  The Nintendo WII system, Xbox and PS3 all remind me of the days when one simple technological device changed the way we played.  It was the beginning of inside play and kids not wanting to go outside anymore. 
Check out the sites below to show the evolution of the gaming systems from then to now.
Video on Kelly’s concepts of rhymes of history

5 comments:

  1. Hi Toney,
    I remember that game box. It was a yellow box at least mine was yellow. It had ping pong, paddle ball and tennis but I can’t remember the others. I used to love to play the paddle ball and ping pong games. I guess because they were the only two that I was good at playing. I agree that gaming has come a long way from the big boxes with fewer games to the smaller boxes with more games as well as to the handheld games.
    Marion Bush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toney

    First, I can tell you I am old enough to remember the Atari game, I was 18 years old when I purchased the first Atari game and I loved it. When my children were growing up they had the Nintendo game and I played it as much as the did. Oh how things have changed over the years. I thought the first Zelda game was wonderful but now look at the graphics. I cannot believe how much these games have changed in such a short time. This is one of the 5000 day chances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toney,
    I remember playing Pac Man on my aunt's Atari when I was younger. It really is amazing to think of how far video games and game systems have come since Atari.I can only imagine what is going to come down in the future as far as video games are concerned. It will be interesting to see where we go from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toni,

    I remember getting my first Atari and I actually still have it..LOL But the other day, my son and I purchased a Wii Game system. Oh My Goodness. Things have so changed. Who would have thought from then til now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni,

    I also talked about gaming, so I enjoyed your post. I used the Wii as my example and said it rhymed with families getting together for entertainment purposes, all the way back to telling stories by the fireside. I like your analysis of gaming systems and was glad to read about the subject I chose from a different perspective. Good job!

    ReplyDelete